Thursday, January 19, 2006

I discovered this little "treasure" tucked inside an old book that was in Grandma's house. The pamphlet is an "ad" for Insurance. On the left inside flap, it says: "About 33,000 people are killed in Motor Vehicle Accidents each year...One Person Killed every sixteen minutes. Over a third of these Fatalitities are PEDESTRIANS..."

The strip that is diagonal says: "If you WALK or RIDE You Need Life & Casualty Automobile Accident Insurance"

And the box at the bottom left says: "Worse than War: Almost 100,000 more people have lost thier lives in motor vehicle accidents in the last 10 years than were killed in all the Ars in which the United States has taken part."

The right inside flap is two "Mercurochome Bandages" for "Protection Against Infection".



This is the front of the pamphlet. I did not photograph the back cover, but thought I'd share it here:

Protection Everyone Should Own

For less than a Penny a Day

You can own a little Life and Casualty Travel and Pedestrian Accident policy
which pays for the loss of:

Life.............................................$1,000.00

Both Hands.................................1,000.00

Both Feet....................................1,000.00

Sight of Both Eyes.....................1,000.00

One Hand, One Foot.................1,000.00

One Hand, Sight of One Eye....1,000.00

One Foot, Sight of One Eye......1,000.00

Either Hand..................................500.00

Either Foot...................................500.00

Sight of Either Eye.....................500.00

Provided such loss occurs in accordance with the terms and provisions of the
policy.

I'm not sure the date of this...although I would guess in the 1940's. I CAN tell you that I am glad I wasn't an insurance agent back then!! ;-)

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Hi Susan,
I don't know why but I clicked on your profile tonight and saw that you'd begun another blog. Have you given the link to Grandma? I need to have her over to tell me more about the things I have here. It's a great idea! You are doing a great job with the pictures too!

Susan said...

Hey!! I gave her the link and keep hoping she'll get on and comment...I've told her that she can. I think it'd be very cool to see each other's "stuff", you know? Let me know if you start one.

kt said...

Funny that life insurance ads today STILL say: '....for pennies a day...'. lol