Sunday, January 08, 2006

Here are photos and the descriptions that I have so far



1. This is the stand that Grandpa Curt Callahan made. He made it sometime before I met Grandpa Callahan. It used to be natural wood..but Grandma Verna Callahan painted it the white color....Grandpa Allen callahan and Aunt Rachel said she painted everything she could get a paint brush to...no matter what. I think we are safe in saying that it was made in a bout 1935, in Richwood Ohio. He used for his tobacco "things"..His cigarette papers, his tobacco, and the Cigarette Roller that rolled his cigarettes...Don't know where that got to...I think maybe Aunt Rachel had it at one time. I got it when Grandma Callahan died in 1962. I used it in my kitchen in Mt. Gilead Ohio....there was a place beside the stove and sink. It fit just right there....by the inside back porch door. I usually kept my sugar, flour, salt, etc..there...Baking materials...etc.

2. The Cow Drinking mug....Grandpa and I bought that during one of his travels that he took me with him.....He started traveling in 1952.....I worked, so couldn't go as often as I would have liked....so sometimes I just got some time off.....OR vacation time to go with him...Went with him to Mexico, Louisiana, Texas, Canada, Missouri, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Virginia, N. and S. Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, Georgia, New York, Indiana, Illinois, and probably many more. I met a lot of his working friends, from the owners of the business, to the working people in the plant...and it was interesting, and fun. One time we were traveling in Oklahoma and heard of a funnel cloud that was heading in our direction.....a tornado...for sure......Grandpa said the best thing to do in that case was to stop when we saw it and lay down in the DITCH!!! I looked over there in the ditch and it was fu full of water...NOT ME!!! I would have stayed in the car....Well , the tornado went the other way...and we were safe once more.....O.K> enough of that....



3. The flowers on some wood shingles. Alady in Helena Georgia was burning something when I went by her home in about 1980,,,I stopped and asked her why she was burning them...She said to have heat in her home...Someone had given them to her when they tore down their house. I asked her IF I could have some of them....She said,,,of course,....so I picked up some of the best and widest ones.....to paint on.. I hadn't been painting very long..and didn't really think I did a very good job...but the shingles added a lot of distinction to them.....I had done quite a few of them...but don't know where the others got to.....I had several bundles left in the garage when Grandpa died...and I moved to Ohio..so don't know what happened to the other ones.

No comments: